Thursday, June 7, 2012

WORS #3


Wausau had a stacked field. Most people are saying its been the deepest field in the whole WORS series. Even after my call up I still had a 3rd row start and that was scary because of the way the start was laid out this year, it had a bunch of sharp corners instead of the long straight lead out of previous years. I managed to make my way up near the front but the pace was FAST thanks to Ben Koenig for taking a huge pull right out of the gate. Then right before the first section of single track there was a pile up and a few people went down. I lost contact with the leaders. I hammered to get back up to the lead group and by the time we got to the big climb I pulled them in. There was a huge group and I was the last guy on the train, bad place to be. I couldn't get around anyone because I burned a lot of matches working up to them but held on the whole first lap and back to the first climb when teammate Corey Stelljes attacked and really broke up the group. 

I think this is where Jesse Lalonde and I got together and it was just the two of us the rest of the race. There were a few times when Kevin McConnel would fall back to us, but neither one of us really had it in the tank to attack and grab on. He said he was pretty sick all week. We sat in 9th and 10th basically the whole race until the 4th lap when Nathan Guerra flatted and Joe Malony crashed in one of the rock gardens. That moved us up to 7th and 8th. 

Jesse was cramping up pretty bad so that meant that I had to do a lot of work, which I was fine with. He was some good company and when we were nearing the finish he said "Don't worry, I'm a gentleman I won't attack at the finish. Unless it was for 1st and 2nd." I really appreciate his kindness and I hope that some day we do battle it out for 1st and 2nd!

Here is a better write up from cycling dirt.org 


No comments:

Post a Comment